- “The Gordon girls” -- Chaumont sisters Myna, Laura, and Ruth with their dog Trixie at Dunmovin, probably in the 1930s. (photo courtesy Lyme Heritage Center)
One of the oldest houses in Lyme stands at Horton’s Cove on Point Salubrious. James Horton is believed to have been the first settler on the point, arriving from Long Island in 1802. He purchased land from James Le Ray de Chaumont and by 1807 he’d built a log cabin. He prospered and was able to build this stone home by 1819. The home once contained elaborately carved woodwork and fireplace mantels built by a British soldier who had deserted after the Battle of Sackets Harbor in the War of 1812. However, the house fell into disrepair in the 1880s and the roof collapsed, causing a great deal of interior damage. As a result, most of the original woodwork does not survive. A wooden third story was added sometime thereafter (see Horton House photo below), but in 1949 it was altered, and a large porch with columns was added.
- Horton House today (left) and a past version (photos by Lyme Heritage Center and Julie Putnam-Maitag)
John B. Rogers’ grocery store was one of three grocery stores that used to stand on the Point. After Rogers and his wife Alice passed away, their daughter Bessie Byam inherited it. Later the store was purchased and run by Babe Sharlow. It originally stood about five doors east of its current spot, but it was moved after the store closed in the late 1950s or early 1960s. When the building was moved, it was rotated 90 degrees, so the side facing the road now is not the original storefront.
- Salubrious grocery store, as it appears today (left) and prior to the 1950s (photos by Lyme Heritage Center and Julie Putnam-Maitag)
In 1875 Alvah Warner discovered mineral water while drilling a well near his home. He had the water analyzed by a pathologist from the New York Lunatic Asylum in Utica; this gentleman said it was saline sulphur water which would be cathartic for a number of ailments. He declared that drinking the water would be an excellent treatment for gout, rheumatism, and “engorgement of the liver;” he also said that if used externally, the water would treat “diseases of the skin.” By 1878 the Warner family had built the Warner House, a resort for those seeking the water's cure. The house was later sold and renamed the Point Salubrious Club. The club was popular with fishermen in the 1890s, but by 1911 it was sold in foreclosure. Owner W.H. Moore donated the property to Trinity Church in 1915 and it was re-named the Trinity Club. In the 1930s the Jefferson County Tuberculosis and Public Health Committee used it as a children’s’ health camp. In 1938 it was a re-opened as the Salubrious Inn restaurant. The building later fell into disrepair and was torn down.
- Site of the Salubrious Club (left) and the club house (photos by Lyme Heritage Center and Julie Putnam-Maitag)
The "Gordon Girls" built the cottage (pictured below) next to the Point Salubrious cemetery about 1913. The sisters called it "Dunmovin,” and used it as their summer home. Their niece inherited the cottage and it remains in the family today.
- "Dunmovin" today (left) and in the 1930s. (photos by Lyme Heritage Center and Julie Putnam-Maitag)
Archives of the Lyme Heritage Center, Three Mile Bay
New York State Historic Newspapers Archive at